Look familiar? That's because it is. I posted this recipe last summer, and since strawberry season is here again, I couldn't wait to make this salad again, and in turn, to tell you to make this salad again. Thanks to a friend at work, I had a gallon of the most perfectly sweet strawberries straight from a farm in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. Combined with delicious dressing and the delightful company of my roommate, this meal made for a most enjoyable evening. Two warnings: 1) The sugared almonds are addictive; you'll want to eat them as soon as you take them off the pan. 2) The dressing is more addictive than the almonds; I legitimately wanted to drink it like a smoothie, but I refrained...for the most part.
1 package baby spinach (you can also add arugula or use a spring mix)
1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese
1 cup sliced strawberries
Sugared Almonds (recipe below)
Strawberry Poppy Seed dressing (recipe below)
- Assemble ingredients according to your heart's desire and enjoy.
- For those who want to add some protein, add slices of grilled chicken (as I did) or even a sweet glazed piece of salmon.
1/2 cup sliced almonds
3 tablespoons sugar
- Heat a small, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sugar and almonds.
- Cook and stir just until nuts are golden and coated with melted sugar.
- Spread on a sheet of foil to cool.
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sliced strawberries
3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Place vinegar, sugar, salt, and mustard in a food processor (or blender).
- With the processor running, slowly drizzle in oil until creamy.
- Add strawberries and process till smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.